Thursday, September 18, 2008

Week 5

RSS Feeds - from Week 4
My students had no trouble blogging and creating an avatar - what a good teacher I must be. However, I had trouble with the RSS feeds until Peter helped me out - what a good teacher he is. Anyway I am now able to get into my students blogs easily and see their updated work each week - great.

Digital Story
I've created quite a few digital stories as well as teaching students to create them, as I teach this every Friday afternoon. They are great fun to do and I've learnt heaps from working with my students. Some of them have created amazing digital stories. I've created a photostory and tried three times to put it on my blog and it refused to co-operate. It keeps saying that there was an error.
Update: Peter came and viewed my photostory and tried many times to put it onto my blog with no luck.


Web 2.0 Awards
This is a terrific site which I really enjoyed exploring. What I didn't like is TAFE's firewall which kept blocking some sites (typical). I tried Games and entertainment but after being blocked three times, gave up. The next area I explored was Foods. I looked at the 1st Prize 'Im Cooking' and learnt how to make Tomato Basic Crostini, vegetarian gravy and lots more. Great videos, and easy to follow. I explored the Galaxy - very informative. I also looked at Writeboards. I did the tour and created my own. Unlike a word document, you can get to your writeboards from any computer in the world with an internet connection. Students can use it to:


  • contribute to a group paper
  • collaborate with another student in another town, city or country on a project
  • collaborate with a friend on wording for their project
  • work on any type of text with anyone they wish throughout the world.

It is easy is use - just enter the persons email address.

Smartboards

I use the smartboard every week in my maths lessons - I usually use a visual manipulation to reinforce the objectives of the lesson or to help students gain a better understanding of the concepts being taught. I also use google to find a maths dictionary so that students can understand maths terminology.

At present I am in the process of creating my own lesson on the smartboard on Mapping Skills. It is very time consuming but I am learning heaps through trial and error.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be seeking you out as the digital story guru for a few tips...I haven't quite got the hang of what to do there yet ;-)

Unknown said...

whew, what an active participant you are! Reading through your post makes me think that maybe I'm asking too much of you every week.